Saturday, November 26, 2011

Stressors

Hunger is something I thought only existed in other countries. I’ve found that millions of children die daily due to hunger all over the world. It is a devastating fact of life, one that you think will never happen in your own family.  I never thought my own niece would have to still food to live. She actually had to still from stores, home and any wear she could get a bite to eat. She began stealing about the age of eight. She actually started at home. Her mother had married a man who was evil and won right low down. They lived in Laurel, MS. Hunger was not due to the lack of food, but because the husband kept locks on the cabinets, and only gave food out in portions. Whenever we went to visit, the children were sitting outside on the steps and they were always hungry. What type of person could deny children food when there is food in their home. The children would wait until night and sneak into the pantry when he forgot and left it open and stole food. Whenever they got caught, he would beat the bloody.
I couldn’t understand why my niece stayed in such a situation. I later found out that she was afraid to leave him. He beat her as well. When they became school age in an area where people knew the family, they would keep the grandmother informed of any abuse. Once the schools got involved, he moved the family away. Finally, one day the mother got tired, and decided to leave. She left, but did not take the children. The oldest girl, which was the outside child, is doing well. She has a job, and is currently working on her master’s degree. The other two are not in contact with the mother. This is a story of hunger, abuse, neglect, chaos, and an absolute mess, all wrapped together into one scenario.
We see advertisements asking for donations because of children dying from hunger. Ethiopia is the country that comes to mind. Children are dying from lack of nutrition, hunger, drought, and disease. The World Food Program, raises money to aid the children and people in that country. YouTube posted an article about the drought of May 2008 that caused hunger issues to rise in that country.  Health issues and rising prices are other stressors that affect that community. The government fighting in wars with neighboring towns that have do direct affect on their own town could also be considered a stressor. Abraham Maslow talks about the hierarchy of needs and how they must be met before one could move on to other issues. The basic of those necessities is food and shelter. This weeks readings dicussed stressors and how they affect child development in the areas ob biosocial, psychosocial and cognitive. As we know hunger will affect the body, brain, emotions

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa! Thank You for sharing this story of hunger and abuse. I am glad that your niece, her siblings, and their mother were able to escape this abusive individual along with the hunger. When I think of hunger, a poor country outside of the U.S. comes to mind. However, this is a demon that affects our family, our neighbors, our community as well as strangers. I really want to do more to help those who struggle with hunger. I am currently doing some research on this issue because I have so much to give.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa,

    Thank you for your heartfelt story. I, like you believed only hunger existed in other countries. However, I too grew up much like your niece. Not only did I suffer abuse at the hands of my step dad, but he and my mother would not always allow me to eat. I would actually hide food under my bed, in my closet, etc. just so I could eat. My mother and step dad would tell me I was too fat and needed to not eat. As a mother now, I let my daughter eat what she wants and when she wants. I do, however, remind her of the hungry children all over the world and encourage her to not waste food.

    I am so thankful your family members left that abusive household. No child should NEVER have to go without food, especially if it is readily available! As you stated, hunger not only affects our stomachs, but our development as well. Thank you for your great post.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Theresa,

    This story really touched my heart because I have seen it first hand working with the Department of Children and Families as a child protective investigator. There are parents who actually punish their children but not feeding them a meal. I am happy that your niece did not end up as a statistic and I hope she strives to help others.

    ReplyDelete