Friday, September 21, 2012

Communication & Diversity

Considering my family structure, colleagues, community, and neighborhood, I find myself adjusting to the situation. With family and friends, I can be who I am even with my flaws. When communicating with colleagues and people from the workplace, I tend to be more professional in my delivery. Not that I am two different people, but in the workplace, I want to be professional and mindful of what I say and how my body language contributes to my message.

While being careing of what you say and how you say it, people may still receive a different message that the one you intended. I had a conversation with one of the custodians, and a colleague. I didn't think anythng about the conversation, but the custodian went home and told his girl friend that I was asking her personal business. It was not I who asked but my colleague. I don't know if my body language or facial expressions gave a different response, but my mouth did not. One strategy that I will use from that encounter, is to avoid sitting in areas where people discuss their personal business.

When I conversate with my family, I just say what I feel without any reservations. On a job the situation is different. I must be mindful because children, families, and other professionals may be impacted by what and how I express myself. I have some diversity in my family in regards to culture, race, religion, political affiliations and sexual orientations. Some strategies I could use would include, better listening skills,  avoid stereotyping, and working on any perceptual barriers that I might have that will prevent me from being an effective communicator with my diverse family and working environment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it is important to communicate in ways that are appropriate for the situation. The wonderful thing about family and close friends is that we can often let down our guard, speaking more candidly than if we were at work. It is important that we have relationships with others that allow us to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easier to let your guard down around family and close friends. We tend to feel more at ease around these people. I have learned to tailor the conversations that I have at work. I have learned over the years that it is not necessarily wise to talk about personal issues with those you work with. Co-workers have the ability to turn what you say to them in confidence around and use it against you if it helps to better their employment situation. Since being promoted I have learned that talking about personal situations with staff is not appropriate and this makes me thankful that my promotion caused me to move to a different location. I had good relationships with a few of the teachers I had worked with over the years both at work and outside of work. They knew a lot about what was going on in my personal life and with my children. As an assistant director it is no longer appropriate to have these types of relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In talking to family and friends I have found that I use more slang, I am more relaxed in my body language and I joke around a lot more. I agree with you that when talking with coworkers and others in the workplace, I am more reserved and mindful of the appropriateness of conversations that I am involved in.

    ReplyDelete