Sunday, September 30, 2012

As a Communitor

This week's assignment lead me to explore and find out how people viewed me as a communicator. One things that surprised me was that myfamily members said that I don't think before I say things that may hurt others feelings. If I think it, I say it. This surprised me, because I thought I was a careing individual. I thought it was o.k. to relax when communicating with family. Now I'll have to reconsider my communication skills with them. The second surprize was with my co-worker, she said that I talk with my eyes and if I don't like something, or even if I'm having a bad day, she can look at me and tell. I found out that she could read my moods through my fascial expressions without even saying any words.

In our resources we read about self-concept and self esteem. These two terms play a major part in my ability to communicate effectively. Self-efficacy describes how I'm able to deal with stress & failure in my live. In my readings I discovered that  depending on the situation, my communication skills differ because I have built up a defense machanizm to strike out before being hurt. Mainly because my self esteem must be low.

Learning about my self-concept and how people are able to read me by my facial expressions has caused me to think about my communication skills and my opinion of myself. Understanding that people can tell what I'm thinking without talking will affect the way I'm able to communicate with families and co-workers. I've also found out that it's not o.k. to say what I feel without considering the feelings of others in both my professional and personal life. In order to succeed, I must be able to sell myself as well as my opinions. I believe that being an effective communicator is one of the major areas I must work on for my future succdess.

situation

3 comments:

  1. My facial expressions give away my moods also. I am told that when I am mad that my left eye twitches even though I do not notice it. I have had stressful days and co-workers will constantly ask me if I am okay. They say they can see in my face that the day is not going good. My son told me that I have to learn to have a better "poker face." It is amazing to me how much we communicate without ever saying a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also give away my moods or "real" thoughts with facial expressions. I have had to consciously work on that in the professional field, and thankfully my principal knows that when he sees certain expressions that I will "come around" or calm down if he gives me some time! I think that working together with people over long amounts of time helps us to learn each others moods without relying solely on verbal cues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was once told that my facial expressions and my mouth would get me into trouble. I have been able to control my "mouth" but I feel that my facial expressions tell all. I have learned to suppress my facial expressions by learning to have the so-called poker face. I am so glad that we have friends, family and co-workers who are honest with us and who will help us become better communicators.

    ReplyDelete